The holidays are known for cheerful décor and spending time with loved ones, but they are also a time to share family traditions, especially when it comes to food. Traditional recipes are unique to each family and are passed down from generation to generation. The team at Footprints Home Care would like to share some ideas for favorite holiday desserts that may bring back memories.
- Grandma’s Molasses Fruitcake: Although fruitcake is not loved by all, it is a tradition for many families. This moist fruitcake recipe will give you a taste of the holidays straight from grandma’s cookbook! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grandma-s-molasses-fruitcake/
- Classic Biscochitos: This New Mexico state cookie is filled with flavor! Biscochitos are wonderful throughout the year but are especially delicious during the holidays with their hint of anise and cinnamon. Imagine dunking one in a hot cup of coffee while making the holiday tamales! https://www.newmexicomagazine.org/blog/post/bizcochito-recipe-83756/
- Warm Pumpkin Empanadas: These empanadas are a pocket full of holiday flavors. Whether savory or sweet, empanadas are a great traditional dish. https://www.firstdayofhome.com/baked-pumpkin-empanada-recipe/
- Old Fashioned Pecan Snowball Cookies: These buttery, bite-sized cookies are bound to have you singing this holiday season. These cookies are for you if you are a fan of pecans and powdered sugar. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/11171/snowballs-ii/
- Classic Candy Cane Butter Cookies: Nothing says the holidays like a red and white striped candy cane. These cookies are perfect for every family member and can even be hung on a mug full of delightful hot chocolate. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/classic-candy-cane-butter-cookies/
- Baked Cranberry Pudding: This old-fashioned pudding is a cranberry lover’s dream! A bowl of this spiced dessert will have you feeling the holiday cheer https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-cranberry-pudding/
Nothing says home like the smell of warm dessert from the oven. This holiday season, show grandma and grandpa love with a traditional holiday dessert that will bring them back in time.
At Footprints Home Care in New Mexico, we understand that this time of year can be trying for those struggling with the issues of aging. If we can help provide at-home care for your elderly family member, call to have a home assessment, and learn about our compassionate caregivers. We’re also available for respite care this holiday season.